“Eggs are such a brilliant way to start the day, and this recipe means you can cook lots of them at the same time, and they’ll all be done perfectly. This dish also contains loads of veg and beans for extra goodness. If you have any tortillas hanging around, serve them on the side for mopping up the sauce. Delicious! ”
- 120 g alliums (onions, leeks or a mixture of both)
1.3 kg Mediterranean veg
2 fresh red chillies , or a pinch of chilli flakes
20 ml olive oil
2 x 400 g tins black beans , (470g drained weight)
2 litres tomato base sauce
10 free-range eggs
150 g feta or hard cheese
- Recipe kindly shared by the Tesco Community Cookery School with Jamie Oliver. The recipe has been written to be flexible and scalable up to 50 portions. Note: all veg weights are for trimmed, prepped vegetables.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Peel (or trim) and finely slice the alliums and Mediterranean veg. Finely chop and deseed the chillies (if using).
- Place a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients on a medium heat with the oil.
- Add the alliums, chillies (or chilli flakes) and veg, and cook for 20 minutes or until golden and softened.
- Drain the beans and add to the pan, along with the tomato base sauce and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a deep oven tray (approx 40cm x 60cm) and give it a little shake to fill the corners. Make 10 wells in the sauce and crack in the eggs.
- Crumble over the feta or grate over the hard cheese, and bake for 10 minutes, or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Dish up and enjoy!